Background
I was offered the opportunity to teach science across the whole school, as I released each teacher for their CRT release. That meant that I had each class twice a term. I was fortunate to be able to set up a spare classroom as my science room.
Action.
I made sure to collect and display objects, posters and artifacts to hook children in . I selected a theme each term, and planned both a senior and a junior plan.As I had each class for a whole day, I needed to mix it up with drawing, writing ,discussing , exploring ,thinking, experimenting and fully integrate the curriculum.
Outcome.
Most children were fully involved and would often catch me in the playground, asking when their next science day was. I became the repository for anything dead (birds, mouse skeletons) alive(goldfish, plants). children enjoyed visiting the room before school to observe my latest acquisitions. Staff were also supportive and brought things in for me too.
The most popular part of each day was the experiments. Many children would come to school and tell me about experiments that they had found on line or in library books.
I was able to connect with many boys through science. They really enjoyed the skulls, and dead animals and birds in the freezer.
No comments:
Post a Comment